This page contains lots of information about the UKMT Intermediate Mathematical Challenge, including a table with links to past papers and solutions and another with grade boundaries for all past papers. Further information, including information about how to sign up for the challenge, can be found at https://www.ukmt.org.uk/.
What is the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge?
The Intermediate Maths Challenge is a maths competition organised by the UKMT, usually sat by students in Years 9-11 (England and Wales), S2-S4 (Scotland) or Years 10-12 (Northern Ireland), though younger students may also enter.
To understand how the Intermediate Maths Challenge fits into the system of UK maths challenges take a look at the video below. It also explains how to qualify for the follow-on Kangaroo and Olympiad rounds.
How can I prepare for the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge?
As well as practising with the past papers linked below, you can prepare for the challenge by taking a Mathsaurus online course. In the free course ‘Get Ready for the Intermediate Maths Challenge‘ you can practise real past SMC questions, each with a video hint and solution. In the upgraded course ‘Go for Gold in Maths Challenges (age 13-16)’, you can follow tutorials on some of the most important topics and try lots of original practice problems not available anywhere else.
How are the grade boundaries set for the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge?
The exact grade boundaries for the IMC vary from year to year, but 50% of participants receive certificates in the ratio of 1:2:3 Gold : Silver : Bronze . This means that roughly 8% of entrants overall receive Gold, 17% Silver and 25% Bronze. Some students are also invited to take part in the Kangaroo and Olympiad follow-on rounds – the grade boundaries for these depend on which year group the student is in.
The Grey and Pink Kangaroo, and the Cayley, Hamilton and Maclaurin Olympiads are follow on rounds to the Intermediate Maths Challenge. For more information and a table including all past qualification boundaries see the page here. There’s also a YouTube video summarising and discussing all of this information here:
INTERMEDIATE MATHS CHALLENGE PAST PAPERS:
INTERMEDIATE MATHS CHALLENGE GRADE BOUNDARIES: (View the boundaries to qualify for the Kangaroo and Olympiad here)
Looking for grade boundaries for other competitions?